The Lee house was built in 1903 by Jefferson Davis Barnes. William C. Lee and his wife, Dava, bought the house on October 30, 1935 from National Bondholders Corporation for $4,500.00 They rented out the house while Dava lived with Bill at a number of Army posts. Dava occupied the house when Bill became deeply involved with the Airborne Project and was making numerous trips overseas. After Bill’s death, Dave lived on the first floor and rented rooms to occupants until 1975 when she moved to the Golden Years Nursing Home in Falcon, N.C. She lived there until her death in 1983.
The Lee house was purchased by the Lee Memorial Commission on October 27, 1984 and was subsequently completely reconditioned. New heating and air conditioning was installed and the house was converted into the Lee Museum and the Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Offices. The dedication ceremony was held June 6, 1986. The U.S. Congress declared this day as General William C. Lee Day.
The General William C. Lee Airborne Museum is a major tourist attraction in the heart of Dunn, North Carolina. More than $350,000 in renovation to the museum was unveiled on June 6, 2006, the anniversary of D-Day. State of the art exhibits and two stories of airborne history and the personal story of General Lee are on display.